We've got you covered
Tacoma Power provides electric service to the city of Tacoma, Fircrest, University Place, Fife, parts of Steilacoom, Lakewood, Joint Base Lewis-McChord and unincorporated Pierce County as far south as Roy. That's more than 160,000 customers. View a more detailed map of our territory and others who serve around us.
We have been publicly owned since 1893. We are a division of Tacoma Public Utilities and are governed by a five-member Public Utility Board.
Tacoma Power also owns Click! Network, which provides telecommunications services such as cable television, broadband and wholesale internet services.
Tacoma Power is an innovative, citizen-owned electric utility that generates, transmits and distributes electricity and provides energy and telecommunication services in an increasingly competitive marketplace.
We are committed to provide high-value, competitively priced products and services to our customers through the quality of our employees, and the responsiveness that results from local ownership.
We will continue to serve our customers in Tacoma and neighboring communities and serve new markets to benefit both existing and new customers.
- 180 square miles of service area
- 835 employees
- 151,174 residential customers (54% inside city limits; 46% outside city limits)
- 17,838 commercial customers (15,079 small commercial; 2,759 general commercial and industrial)
- 2,333 miles of transmission and distribution lines (1,529 overhead; 804 underground)
- Average use per household: 12,583 kWh year / 1,049 kWh month
- Average cost per household: $933 year / $78 month
- System firm load: 5 billion kWh
- Our power supply is 90% hydroelectric power. Of that, 45% is provided by our own hydroelectric power facilities.
- 4 main/transmisison substations
- 5 switching stations
- 48 distribution substations
- 12 dedicated distribution substations
- 23 Bonneville Power Administration customer substations
- 8 generation switchyards
- 49 million kWh savings (23 residential; 26 commercial/industrial)
- $16.6 million investment in customer conservation projects
- Tacoma Power paid $9.1 million toward customer conservation projects
- Customers paid $7.5 million toward conservation projects
- Value of our fixed assets: $954.1 million
- Total operating revenue: $387.8 million
- Bond ratings:
- Fitch: AA-
- Moody's: Aa3
- Standard & Poor's: AA
Tacoma Power was established in 1893 when the citizens of Tacoma voted to buy the privately owned Tacoma Light & Water Company. Local citizens believed that public ownership and local control would give them a higher caliber of services and the ability to maintain control over them. That decision paved the way for us to build one of the finest and most reliable electric systems in the United States.
Tacoma Power's $15.8 million project to replace the towers and power lines that cross the Narrows waterway is complete. Walk near the site or drive across the Narrows bridge and you'll see the new towers installed in the 3rd quarter of 2006. The two new towers should last 80 years.